Thursday, January 19, 2012

MS Education: Symptoms

Let's talk about MS. I told you what it technically is here. There are a ton of symptoms that people with MS can experience. MS is a very individualized disease. While some symptoms are very common, every person experiences the symptoms differently.

Common Symptoms include:
  • Fatigue
  • Numbness
  • Walking (Gait), Balance, and Coordination Problems
  • Bladder Dysfunction
  • Bowel Dysfunction
  • Vision Problems
  • Dizziness and Vertigo
  • Sexual Dysfunction
  • Pain
  • Cognitive Dysfunction
  • Emotional Changes
  • Depression
  • Spasticity

My Symptoms:
  • ~Fatigue - This is very common. About 80% of people with MS deal with fatigue.
  • ~Walking - THIS IS NOT ONE OF MY SYMPTOMS. I SIMPLY TRIP OVER MY OWN 2 FEET ALL BY MYSELF!
  • ~Numbness - This is how mine started. It is frequently one of the first symptoms experienced by those who eventually are diagnosed with MS. It gets better, although I still have some numbness in my left hand from the last attack. I assume it will eventually go away, but I don't know for sure.
  • ~Bladder Dysfunction - It's nice to know that there is a medical reason that I always have to pee, but there are times when I have to pee NOW. That's sucks. I'm like an old woman! :-)
  • ~Vertigo - I didn't think about it at the time, but I had a serious bout with Vertigo in June of 2009. I didn't know that was a common symptom of MS. And I am not sure that I would've put 2 and 2 together even if I would've.
  • ~Cognitive Dysfunction - I HAVE MEMORY AND PAYING ATTENTION ISSUES, BUT I AM NOT SURE I CAN BLAME IT ON MS, BUT I MAY START TRYING!
  • ~Depression - I have been on Celexa for a couple of years because of depression. Little did I know that it was related to the MS (because I didn't know I had MS)

Less common symptom:
  • ~Headaches - In the spring/summer, I dealt with constant headaches. And I still get migraines. Last Monday was the most recent. I never could figure out a trigger. I kept journals and everything. I haven't talked to my doctor about this because I just read it on the National MS Society's website, but it's nice to know I am not crazy and that studies indicate that vascular headaches/migraines and MS are related in some patients.

Other annoying things:
  • ~Over-Heating - It takes FOREVER for my body to regulate it's own temperature once I get hot. It is suggested that people with MS stay out of hot tubs, take warm showers (not super hot), and don't stay out in the sun and summer heat for extended periods of time. This is comforting to me because I HATE heat, but super annoying because I like hot tubs (but it causes me to be all tingly), I don't like to have to cool down when I get out of the shower because it takes FOREVER to get ready OR I spend the entire time sweating while I'm trying to dry my hair and do my make-up (counter productive, people). And it's super annoying because my family and Ronnie's family likes to be outside during the summer. I typically end up staying inside Boo!

It's nice to have "reasons" for some of the things I experience. It doesn't make it better or less frustrating or less annoying, but it DOES make me feel better somehow to know that there is a reason. 

I began my MS medication regimen 3 weeks ago. I took my 3rd dose of Avonex last night. Giving yourself a shot is...different. You know it's coming. And it's even different than watching someone give you a shot and it's most certainly different that giving someone ELSE the shot (that doesn't hurt you at all!). And tonight I am pretty sure I nicked something I wasn't supposed to because I bled like a stuck hog and the medicine did NOT feel good going in. Oops!

Symptoms I have experienced? Feverish, chills, aches, and needing sleep. The good news is that it only lasts about 12 hours from what I can tell. Last week I took the meds before bedtime. I think I like that better. So, I plan to take the meds on Wednesday nights because I typically have no where to be on Thursday, so I can sleep it off.

So, that's my update and a little education all wrapped up in one. I think of the MS every morning after my shower and I think of it when I take my medicine, but other than that, it's not at the forefront of my mind. I think that in itself is a blessing. Chronic illness may change your life, but it shouldn't rule your life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Blogger Candy