Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Thought Provoking Thursday - June 30, 2011

Thought Provoking Thursday button


Welcome to the first Thought Provoking Thursday.


What in the world possessed me to do this? A couple of things actually - I like to blog but sometimes I just don't have a lot to talk about (especially during the summer months - I could talk about wedding stuff but even I would get sick of that!)...this takes care of one day each week. I'll never lack for things to talk about on Thursdays now. I also got into the habit of making my students journal every day during school - typically a thought provoking question - I want those brains engaged. I would also answer the questions and I sort of miss it.


So, link up and join in the fun! Read other's posts and leave a comment. We all like to know that someone is reading, right?. :-)


1. What is the difference between living and existing?
I think we all fear certain things. I believe that fear can make a huge difference in whether we're living or simply existing. It can stifle living and throw you into a state of simply existing if you allow it to cripple you. Me? For a long time, the fear of not being good enough and the fear of failing kept me from living well. I like to do things and do them well. I'm sort of a perfectionist, but  as I walked through each day there was always something looming that kept me from really living - the fear was a hindrance. I have since come to the conclusion that I am not in as much control as I once thought and I am learning to trust God. I think it's a process, but when I get to the point that I can surrender the fear, living resumes...perhaps I'll be able to hand it over for good some day, never to be a problem again, but until then...

2. What small act of kindness were you once shown that you will never forget?
I can think of so many things. I guess that makes me a pretty blessed girl. I'll stick with one so that you won't be reading forever: When I was in college, my house burnt. My mom had called and asked me to come to my grandparents house. When I arrived there were several of my friends there to meet me - they had found out and wanted to be there when my mom told me. I'll never forget their kindness.

3. Do you see to believe or believe to see?
It sure helps to see, but I know that God says that "blessed are those who have not seen yet believe" (John 20:29 I think). That's what faith is, right? Believing in spite of our inability to see and know everything...but it sure does help to be able to see it, touch it, taste it, feel it, hear it.

1 comments:

TheHouse said...

I remember when your house burnt. Your dad was still trying to carry stuff outside--that's the part I remember the best. Crazy all the stuff that's happened in the last 10 years, right?

Post a Comment

 

Template by Blogger Candy