Friday, May 7, 2010

Sacrifice

According to dictionary.com:
sac·ri·fice   /ˈsækrəˌfaɪs/ Show Spelled [sak-ruh-fahys] Show IPA noun, verb, -ficed, -fic·ing.


–noun
1. the offering of animal, plant, or human life or of some material possession to a deity, as in propitiation or homage.
2. the person, animal, or thing so offered.
3. the surrender or destruction of something prized or desirable for the sake of something considered as having a higher or more pressing claim.
4. the thing so surrendered or devoted.
5. a loss incurred in selling something below its value.
6. Also called sacrifice bunt, sacrifice hit . Baseball . a bunt made when there are fewer than two players out, not resulting in a double play, that advances the base runner nearest home without an error being committed if there is an attempt to put the runner out, and that results in either the batter's being put out at first base, reaching first on an error made in the attempt for the put-out, or being safe because of an attempt to put out another runner.

–verb (used with object)
7. to make a sacrifice or offering of.
8. to surrender or give up, or permit injury or disadvantage to, for the sake of something else.
9. to dispose of (goods, property, etc.) regardless of profit.
10. Baseball . to cause the advance of (a base runner) by a sacrifice.

—Synonyms
relinquish, forgo, renounce.

Sacrifice is something that I have heard about all of my life. 'They offered a sacrifice to God on the altar...Jesus was a living sacrifice for humankind.' However, I have been thinking ALOT about sacrifice during this whole renovation process.
 
This world has become so self-absorbed that you don't see neighbor helping neighbor as often as we should. However, I have seen a different view in the last several weeks and a perfect example of sacrifice. My dad has given up a lot over the last several weeks to make certain that my studio gets completed. He has sacrificed a LOT of time. This week he took 3 days off of work. A couple of his CMA friends sacrificed their time on Tuesday night. I am amazed and humbled.
 
I have very few carpentry skills. And while I could've 'made do' with a lot of the building, my dad wanted better, so he has given up taking care of things at the house, riding his motorcycle, sleep...the list could go on and on. My dad needs surgery on this shoulder, but he insists on getting the studio done before the surgery because he won't be able to for a while after the surgery....SACRIFICE. Let's not forget my mom. She has proven to be a great mason, a fabulous painter, insulation queen...she can do it all (just ask her!).
 
We HAVE gotten a lot done. I will post pictures soon, but I just wanted to say thanks to those who sacrifice for me. I am learning that sacrifice doesn't necessarily have to be painful, but it does require relinquishment (which can be painful sometimes). Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice for us. If we're supposed to be disciples of Christ - imitators of our Lord - why aren't we sacrificing more for others?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Blogger Candy